Re: Problems with cygwin install

  • From: Andreas Seidl <address@hidden>
  • To: Joseph Coffey <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Problems with cygwin install
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:15:54 +0200 (CEST)

Joseph,

> Sorry my letters continue to be rejected from the list. I emailed
> fabien, but I haven't heard anything yet.

I'll cc your mail to the list.

> I am about to try further to
> expunge my system of all things cygwin texmacs, and tex: but I think
> you should know that the native port is pretty agressive about claiming
> its paths. Anyway I just physically deleted cygwin. and all texmacs
> directories i can find. lets see...

To completely remove cygwin, you delete the folders C:\cygwin and the
local packages. Then run regedit, search for Cygnus and delete the two
keys. See as well:

http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_2.html#SEC19

It should, however not be necessary to un- or re-install cygwin, as it
barely affects your system.

> I have now attempted to wipe my system of previous tex distributions,
> uninstall the native port (via add remove programs in windows), and
> begin a fresh installation of Texmacs and cygwin unfortunately:
>
> The first strange event is that cygwin complains that I don't have
> xterm installed. However I know that my xserver works so I ignore this and
> go on.

In my installation instruction I suggested to test the X-server with a
simple xterm. You have, however, to install the xterm package, it is not
part of cygwin's base set of packages.

> Next problem:
>
> The TEXMACS_PATH remains set to the old Wintexmacs path. I can't find
> where this is being set. I looked for it in my windows systems
> enviroment variables, but to no avail.. Texmacs doesn't appear to have
> any registry entries.
> If you set the path to something else, shut down cygwin (well click on
> the little x to shut down bash i don't know what this actually does) the
> variable is reset to the wintexmacs path. Thus if I just let the cygwin
> script run naively it gets confused and I got a
>
> can't find texmacs.bin error.

> If I force the script to set these paths anyway, texmacs begins its
> install. It has a lot of trouble with mktexpk (this seems to create
> fonts?)

mktexpk - create a PK file for a font

You could check by saying

which mktexpk

that indeed the /usr/bin/mktexpk is used, and not LiveTex' version.

http://www.fmi.uni-passau.de/~seidl