Page breaking woes

  • From: Karl Hegbloom <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Page breaking woes
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:17:31 -0800

I type up my math assignments with TeXmacs. I use a \paragraph to write
down the section and problem number from the text, then copy the problem
from the text. I'll then solve the problem in a \[ \] environment with
a \tabular inside of it, in which I lay out the equations. I don't use
the \eqnarray because of it's limitation to 3 columns -- I often like to
name the reason for a step in a column off to the right.

I draw plots using Gnuplot running under XEmacs gnuplot-mode, and write
them to disk using the 'fig' terminal type with the 'textspecial' option
so that when TeXmacs imports the figure, it typesets the labels. (I
prefer the gnuplot-mode in XEmacs to the one in TeXmacs.)

The problem is that quite often, TeXmacs will leave a huge empty space
at the bottom of a page when I have stacked a plot with a table, and
even some paragraphs of text, in a problem that is not the first one on
a page. The problem statement itself will be all by itself about 2/3 of
the way down the page, and then there's blank space after that until the
paragraph on the next page will cause it to fill that segment of page
back up!

What can I do to make it work the way I would expect? Is this a bug in
TeXmacs page breaking algorithm?

Is there a way I can make a table splittable across multiple pages?

I can send a sample document, but not to the list, since it's a math
assignment containing worked problems from the popular Stewart's
Calculus textbook, which is used in many American universities and
community colleges.

--
Karl Hegbloom
(o_ mailto:address@hidden

  • Page breaking woes, Karl Hegbloom, 11/20/2004