Re: [TeXmacs] applications under TeXmacs

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: michael graffam <address@hidden>
  • Cc: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] applications under TeXmacs
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:45:53 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Michael,

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, michael graffam wrote:
> I've been working on the TeXmacs interface to Common
> Lisp (CMUCL and CLISP implementations are supported).
> This interface consists of a bit of glue to make CL
> and TeXmacs talk via the prompt strings of the
> interpreters, and a CL package of tools for emitting
> TeXmacs code, generating postscript plots, etc is
> being developed.
>
> One of the things I'm currently adding is the ability
> to easily create TeXmacs menus and such from CL. In
> principle, CL could wipe out the TeXmacs menu-bar and
> use TeXmacs as a GUI for some other application which
> uses TeXmacs for high-quality typeset I/O.
>
> I think this would be a drastic intrusion though. I am
> thinking of putting a sandbox around CL, and forcing
> menus created by CL to be under a TeXmacs submenu
> called Lisp.
>
> How does everyone feel about this? Should applications
> hijack the TeXmacs interface, or just add to it?

Applications, and all the more lisp-like languages,
should be able to completely hijack the TeXmacs interface.
However, it is not quite clear how to do this is a clean way.
Probably, implementing such a thing in the right way requires
a real investment in time: you should have a robust representation
of lisp objects from scheme and vice versa, as well as a way to
export and import signatures.

  • Re: [TeXmacs] applications under TeXmacs, Joris van der Hoeven, 04/26/2005