Re: [TeXmacs] Equation Array Alignment

  • From: Alvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden>
  • To: Marshall Feldman <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Equation Array Alignment
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:59:05 +0200

Hello,

> In an array of “equations,” the left and right sides are separated by
> arrows. E.g.,
> A + B -> C
>
> C -> D
> Is there any way to make the different rows of the array align on the
> arrows, to get the following for the above example:
> A + B -> C
>
> C -> D

I am not sure I understand this question. If you create an equation
array (A-&, \eqnarray* or Insert->Mathematics->equations in TeXmacs you
will have 3 columns per row and thus 3 alignment points. The movement is
effected with the cursor arrows, and the current position is indicated
in the lower right corner, in the minibuffer.

Same thing for \align of AMS fame, but with 2 rows. Somehow I remember
align not to be blessed by Joris (=bound to be reimplemented?).

On a side note, generally speaking, when discussing about formatting
using plain text email as opposed to HTML is beneficial.

> In a related matter, an equation array designates an unspecified
> number of variables. With one equation per variable, I need to put an
> ellipse in each row and another between the next-to-last and last
> rows, as in:
>

> p1X11 + p2X21 + … + pnXn1 = p1X1
>
> p1X12 + p2X22 + … + pnXn2 = p2X2
>
> . . .
>
> p1X1n + p2X2n + … + pnXnn = pnXn
>

> I’d like the ellipse between rows to line up with the one embedded in
> the equations. Is there a way to do this?

There surely are better ways, but one that might work for you is using
the \phantom command. It generates an amount of blank space equal to the
space occupied by the argument when typeset.

So you can use \phantom{p1X12 + p2X22 +} ... \phantom{+ pnXn2}
in the first column of your third row.

Hope this helps,

'Alvaro.

  • Equation Array Alignment, Marshall Feldman, 05/25/2005
    • Re: [TeXmacs] Equation Array Alignment, Alvaro Tejero Cantero, 05/31/2005