Re: [TeXmacs] Buffers

  • From: Luca <address@hidden>
  • To: Javier Arantegui <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Buffers
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 18:53:51 +0100

Javier Arantegui wrote:

Hello,

I'm preparing an screencast for beginners, especially for users without previous experience on emacs.

I know what a buffer solution or a buffer tank are, but I''m not sure if I know exactly what a buffer is in TeXmacs/Emacs. Is it correct to say that buffers are documents in *macs-ese?

One confusing thing about TeXmacs interface is --when you are going to open a new file-- you can use File -> Load... (shortcut F2) or the icon bar, click on the 'Load a file' button -> Load buffer... (F2). What am I loading? A document? A buffer? A file? I think that this mixed semantics is a little bit confusing for the new users used to office suites.

Do you think that it's important to mantain the 'buffer' concept? Maybe it could be substituted by 'document' or 'file'.

Javier

well as long as I understand a buffer is primary in memory (RAm) or some temporary file that either get saved (to a regular file )or get erased after the buffer is closed.
Wheter a file is on the disk.
So basically a buffer should be something as a temporary file, but this is also misleading.
It can also (for example in emacs) contain a shell output that will never become a file.
It is just some memory space you use to display the output of some program.
So a buffer is not necesarily a temporal document.
But it can be it if you save it to a document...
A little bit confusing I guess...
Am I right?
Luca