Re: [TeXmacs] question on bibliography

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: Jack Zhang <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] question on bibliography
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:08:42 +0100

Jack Zhang wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am learning how to generate the automatic bibliography in Texmacs.

You are not the first one to ask for this information ;-)

As far as I can remember, a probably relevant answer
to a similar question can be found on the mailing
list archive at :
<<
http://lists.texmacs.org/wws/arc/texmacs-users/2005-12/msg00029.html

> There are two places we can found the bibliography, Text and Document.
> What are exact meanings of them on these two places?

1) The Text/Automatic/Bibliography is for inserting
the <bibliography> markup (this is the first step
described in the mail archive above).

But you can also do it manually, by directly typing :
[[
"\bibliography" then hit the <Carriage return> key.
]]

under the editor, and then filling the parameters,
and then type <Carriage return> again to activate
the newly inserted <bibliography> markup.

2) The Document/Update/Bibliography is for the
actual filling of the <bibliography> markup by
calling the 'bibtex' command.

> Under Text menu, we can create the bibliography item by asking giving
> the bibliography style and file.

"alpha" is a common answer for the "Bibliography style" prompt.
For other style names, this is a pure bibTeX matter, so you should
have a look at bibTeX documentation if you want more info (as
for me, "alpha" works for the most common needs, so is the only
one I use).

and the "Bibliography file" prompt asks you for the
name of your .bib file (i.e. 'my-biblio.bib').

> No idea what is the default folder of
> this command.

As far as the "Bibliography file" prompt is concerned,
the relevant folder is the one where your .bib file
is located. So the best is to put it together with
your .tm file, this way, you just input the name
of your .bib file & you don't need to mention any
folder.

> I guess to get the bibliography under this system, we probably need two
> steps. First define the bibliography style and location, secondly allow
> us update the from changed bibliography database. Am I right?

Yep.

> Again, can not find any help information from the help.

I didn't found it myself (but perhaps there is something
about that somewhere).

> Best wishes to all of your guys a good Christmas.

Best wishes to you, too.

Cheers, Henri