TeXmacs manual causes HP LaserJet 8150 `79.8109 PRINTER ERROR'

  • From: John Murdie <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: John Murdie <address@hidden>
  • Subject: TeXmacs manual causes HP LaserJet 8150 `79.8109 PRINTER ERROR'
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:51:32 +0000

This isn't, I suspect, TeXmacs' fault - but for information, I find that
when I try to print the full user manual from TeXmacs 1.0.6 on Slackware
10.1 to any of our HP LaserJet 8160dtn printers, the printer crashes
after about page 44 with `79.8109 PRINTER ERROR'. The printer is then
completely inoperable - its front panel freezes - and has to be
rebooted. I've sent the generated PostScript to HP with a firmware bug
report, for what it's worth. The very same PostScript prints fine on
other printers, including HP LaserJet 9000dtns.

The HP LaserJet 8150 printer model is now obsolete (from the end of
2005) so there will be no new firmware. Our 8150 printers have the very
last firmware, version '20041013 MB7.119'.

There is also some overprinting visible in the full manual printed from
TeXmacs 1.0.6. The first occurrence I see is on p.14 in the table of
context-based tags, in the last row of the second column (an example of
the tag 'var') - the printed text says something like "cp )())(()" where
I have used ')())(()' to represent what I see as overprinting. There's a
lot more of the apparent overprinting later on in the manual.

John A. Murdie
Department of Computer Science
University of York
UK