Mad suggestion

  • From: Javier Arantegui <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Mad suggestion
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:36:42 +0200

Hello!

This may be (or not) a mad suggestion. Would it be possible to make TeXmacs a
"Collaborative editor" (1)? Something like Gobby (2) or SubEthaEdit (3). It's
obvious that most of us work with other people and that the management of
different versions of a document is quite difficult.

When several people work with the same document simultaneously is very
difficult to mantain all the versions of the document synchronised. This can
be solved, at least partially, using collaborative editors.

All the existing collaborative editors are just for text, as the ones I
mentioned before. I know that some work is being done in this direction by
the programmers of AbiWord (4). There is a Flash screencast showing the
capabilities of AbiWord (5). It seems that they use one of the libraries of
Gobby to do that, one called libobby.

Wouldn't be amazing or not if TeXmacs could be a collaborative editor? This
could make it a definitive killer application. Frankly, I don't know even if
this is possible or not. But, this is the reason of the Subject line.

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collaborative_real-time_editor
(2) http://darcs.0x539.de/trac/obby/cgi-bin/trac.cgi
(3) http://www.codingmonkeys.de/
(4) http://www.abisource.com/twiki/bin/view/Abiword/AbiCollab
(5) http://www.abisource.com/~uwog/abiword/abicollab.htm

Best regards,

Javier

--
Javier Arántegui
Dept. Tecnologia de Alimentos / Dept. of Food Technology

Tel. +34 973702595
Fax +34 973702596
IM: Jabber - javier.arantegui (AT) jabberes.org
http://www.tecal.udl.es