Re: [TeXmacs] latex exports for inclusion in other documents and page sizes

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: "Corey Sweeney" <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] latex exports for inclusion in other documents and page sizes
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 10:02:36 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, August 18, 2006 8:23 am, Corey Sweeney wrote:
> I'm wanting to write a formula to a latex file, compile it, and include
> it as a graphics object in another document. However, I don't want to
> include a bunch of whitespace of a A4 "page" with it. Is there a way to
> make a page be exactly the size of the content of the page? This would
> probably mean having a specific width, and a "variable" pagelength. I'm
> willing to edit the latex by hand to get it, so if theres a way to do it
> direct in latex that info would be appreciated.

I have done this sort of thing by using ImageMagick to crop the image. In
fact you can check out http://winedt.org/Macros/LaTeX/LaTeX2pic.php for
the perl script I wrote (along with macros for WinEdt which I wrote for a
friend). There are numerous other implementations of similar things. For
example searching the web for tex2gif will find so many different
implementations of differing quality as to be thoroughly confusing ;-)

I image that you could have LaTeX measure an equation, and write a new
LaTeX file with the proper page size, but I would have to look into it.
If you are really interested in this solution, contact me off-list, and
I'll look into it when I have some time.

If you are writing the equation in TeXmacs however, you should be able to
export directly to pdf or postscript and use ImageMagick at that
point--ignoring LaTeX altogether. I don't think it would be that hard to
write something in TeXmacs that would do it for you, and include the
picture, so that you write it and preview it in one fell swoop.

There are no doubt many more possibilities from within TeXmacs. It may be
possible to set the page size programatically based on a given equation,
so that ImageMagick is unnecessary.

-Ivan