Re: [TeXmacs] CygTeXmacs getting slow

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: xinwei Yu <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] CygTeXmacs getting slow
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:16:03 +0100

xinwei Yu wrote:

Hello,

I have been using CygTeXmacs happily for a while, but recently it gets very slow when I am writing a lecture notes (about 100 pages now, I guess this should not be too big a size). Even typing one word makes the CPU usage 100% and I have to wait for seconds for that word to appear. Could anyone help me on this?

Couldn't you try to split your document in several
smaller subdocuments ? Does it help ? Or either,
is it a Windows/Cygwin problem (e.g., Windows
becoming unstable, or, your disk is becoming
full, or things like that) ?

Will switching to cygwin + TeXmacs help?

As far as I know, cygwin + TeXmacs is the
same as CygTeXmacs. What would really
help is to switch to Linux + TeXmacs.

For example, it is well known that the disk
search function under Windows is incredibly,
and shamefully slow, and that this problem
absolutely doesn't exists under Linux (e.g.
with find+grep). It is also well known that
the Windows filesystem is more space-consuming
than most of the Linux available filesystems (e.g.,

I remember quite well when I was still using Windows
that when moving my files from the Win95 filesystem
to the ext2 filesystem, the total disk space used
was 1 third less under Linux).

To summarize, my objective opinion [i.e., sometimes,
one can meet people in the Free Software community
which think that criticizing other environments,
software, etc. is fair game, even if the information
given is pure ideology : as for me, I strongly disagree
with such cold-pissing attitudes : I just give you my
pure technical opinion as an engineer in the Operating
Systems & Networks domain], is that, honestly, plain
and simple, the Windows OS is in fact not engineereed
in a very professional way.

Technically, the quality of the Linux kernel
is much higher and it is a much more professional
and solid work. In practice, you perhaps have
to balance this with all the amount of applications
available under Windows, but if you don't have
this problem, the best advice I can give you
is : "courage, let's flee !", install Linux and
forget Windows forever !

Best, Henri