Re: [TeXmacs] unicode support in texmacs

  • From: Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] unicode support in texmacs
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 21:02:29 -0500

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> Hi Kamaraju,
>
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 03:06:51PM -0500, Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
>> I am wondering if it is possible to input non english characters in
>> texmacs. In particular I am interested to input telugu (an Indian
>> language) characters in texmacs. How does one go about writing unicode
>> characters in texmacs?
>
> In principle, you can add your own fonts (look at what has been
> done for Chinese, Japanese and Korean) to TeXmacs, but this easily
> takes an afternoon. I just started the process of reshaping
> the TeXmacs GUI, so as to make it more standard. At a certain point,
> better unicode support is on the list.

True unicode support would be a killer feature for texmacs. Right now there
is no good way to store documents written in Indian languages (at least not
that I know of). There is a unicode editor called yudit, but its GUI is
very confusing and distracting. Further since texmacs can do typesetting
besides just being an editor, this feature would be really cool to have ...

thanks
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi