Re: [TeXmacs] A small question about numbering of theorems

  • From: Robert Ramsay Lamar <address@hidden>
  • To: TeXmacs Users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] A small question about numbering of theorems
  • Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:54:04 +0000

Anderson,

Anderson Brasil wrote:
I am trying to create a document (article or book style), but I need the axioms to use a separate numbering from propositions and theorems. Something like that:

Axiom 1: bla-bla-bla
Proposition 2: bla-bla-bla
Theorem 3: bla-bla-bla
Axiom 2: bla-bla-bla
Proposition 4: bla-bla-bla

I'm not sure that what you seek. Do you actually mean the following,
where all environments except Axiom use a common counter?

Axiom 1: bla-bla-bla
Proposition 1: bla-bla-bla
Theorem 2: bla-bla-bla
Axiom 2: bla-bla-bla
Proposition 3: bla-bla-bla

I have spent about 30 minutes reading the documentation to try to
achieve this, and I find it rather lacking. Perhaps I am looking in the
wrong place. (Mostly I was investigating 'Counters and Counter Groups'
and 'Defining New Environments'. 'Customizing numbered textual
environments' mentions customizing numbering, but it is IMHO not very
helpful. The best way I know to find these is through queries via
Help->Search->Documentation...)

Now, about your question. The heart of the issue, as I understand it,
is that each environment (axiom, proposition, theorem, and some others)
has its own counter, and these are assigned to the counter group
theorem-env. If you insert the following into your documents preamble,

<group-individual-counters|theorem-env>

then you get the following result, which is the magic inside of
document->add-package->customize->number-europe, described by Adrian.

Axiom 1: bla-bla-bla
Proposition 1: bla-bla-bla
Theorem 1: bla-bla-bla
Axiom 2: bla-bla-bla
Proposition 2: bla-bla-bla

As Adrian observed, it is probably not what you want.

The key is that you want all those other environments' counters to be in
one group, and the axiom counter to be excluded from that group. After
reading the documentation, what I would hope to be able to write is

<remove-from-counter-group|axiom-nr|theorem-env>
<group-common-counters|theorem-env>

and be done with it. But that does not seem to exist, and no such thing
is defined in the file where add-to-counter-group,
group-common-counters, and group-individual-counters are defined.

Spotty documentation, difficulty in locating relevant existing
documentation, and apparently incomplete features have long been a
frustration for me in working with TeXmacs. They are the reasons that I
have never seriously considered moving to TeXmacs from LaTeX for my
general document processing needs. I am glad that TeXmacs is useful to
so many others, but it simply does not have the completeness of
functionality to meet my needs.

I hope this somehow sheds light on your numbering issue.

Take care,
Rob

--
Robert Lamar, PhD Student
http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/~rob/

registered under charity number SC000278.

  • Re: [TeXmacs] A small question about numbering of theorems, Robert Ramsay Lamar, 03/24/2009