Re: [TeXmacs] Re: image integration

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Re: image integration
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 21:14:03 +0200

Dear Andrey,

I agree that it would be nice to have inline graphics for Maxima;
could you please implement such a thing? We might indeed make it an option,
if necessary.

Notice by the way that it _is_ possible now to make graphics inside TeXmacs
more alive; this is what we did for Mathemagix. Of course the trick relied
on the Scheme communication format and I don't know how easy it would
be to adapt the Maxima plugin into this direction.

Anyway, the 2D graphics window opened by Maxima is not very dynamic either:
I can just resize the window, but not move or zoom in/out.

3D graphics should still be displayed in a separate window, probably.

Best wishes, --Joris

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 07:38:03AM +0200, Andrea Gamba wrote:
> The best solution would be to have a simple configuration option, allowing
> to either send graphics to a "live" external window, or to have them
> automatically in line. There is some advantage also in in line graphs, they
> allow keeping a well organized log of the computations. And for simple
> computations many of us mix the advantages of the two approaches by using
> in line graphs and simply editing and resubmitting the graphics command.
> This is the workflow one is accustomed to when using for instance
> Mathematica notebooks.
> Andrea
> Il giorno 30/mar/2012 10.33, "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden> ha
> scritto:
>
> > On Thu, 29 Mar 2012, Henri Girard wrote:
> >
> >> If I want to get the image back i must start gimp transform it in a
> >> format texmacs knows what a lot manipulation when doing things I don't
> >> even
> >> master !
> >>
> > A plot in an external gnuplot window is a live object. You can interact
> > with it by your mouse and change it in various ways. After you are
> > completely satisfied, you can export it from gnuplot as an .eps file. Then
> > it is trivial to insert in into a TeXmacs document.
> >
> > A plot inside TeXmacs is a dead object. You cannot interact with it.
> > Therefore, I think that having a live plot in an externa gnuplot window is
> > much better.
> >
> > I don't understand why you need gimp. The prefered graphics format for
> > importing into TeXmacs is eps. gnuplot is perfectly able to produce it,
> > without any extra convertion programs.
> >
> > Andrey

  • Re: [TeXmacs] Re: image integration, Joris van der Hoeven, 04/17/2012