Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs Image Inclusion Article

  • From: "David E. Miller" <address@hidden>
  • To: Bill Eaton <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs Image Inclusion Article
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 14:45:02 -0400
  • X_cmae_category: 0,0 Undefined,Undefined

Inserting or linking existing EPS files either inline, left , right, centered or "framed", is easy using TeXmacs. Use Insert image -> Big (Small) figure, Then Insert -> Image - Insert (Limk) image from the menu. You can also go straight to Image - Insert (Limk) image menu item and this place the image at the left margin. Use Format -> Paragraph -> Left|zRight|Center directly with the image in focus.

How you get those EPS files in the first place is another matter altogether. If you are using any plugin session (Python, Maxima, Octave, gnuplot, etc) and execute a plotting statement that interfaces to gnuplot for example with a terminal type set that outputs the graph to a window, the graph window should pop up with the graph as though you were using gnuplot itself. I presume the same occurs for other plotting backends. However, you still must get the plot image to disk as a file regardless of the graph format in order to insert it into TeXmacs per the above -- unless you use that clever Python plugin function which is limited to poking the the image into the Python session space. There is no cutting and pasting directly from the plot windows that I have found. However, if you use the Python session plugin function to insert the file into the session I presume you could cut/copy and paste it from there to another location in the TeXmacs document. I have not tried this myself. I try, in general, to link graphics instead of inserting.

Once you see that the graph meets your needs by looking at the popup window, then you can change the output terminal to epscairo for example and then save it to file using the info of my paper, or pdfcairo if there is any transparency effects in which case the workflow of the paper becomes a requirement. I presume other plotting packages such as Matplotlib, etc work in a similar way.

TeXmacs is not a graphical object interface and worksheet environment like MathCad, but it is a much better general technical document tool in many ways.

David