Re: [TeXmacs] Overlays: how do they work ?

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Overlays: how do they work ?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 18:32:56 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 05:21:39PM -0400, Romain Lebreton wrote:
> I am trying to understand how the overlays work. The example from
> man-beamer-overlays suggests that overlays enable you to easily
> replace something (e.g. x) by another thing (e.g.
> <with|font-color|red|x>). I tried and I found no way of doing it.
> How could I do such a thing ?

If the replacement text has exactly the same size,
then you may use the "Compressed overlays"
(hidden markup is suppressed, not merely phantomized),
first enter the black text (say only visible on slide 1),
next the same red text (say only visible on slides >= 2).

Alternatively, when opting for standard overlays,
you may use the superpose tag, put the black text
in the first child and the red text in the second.

> Also I have another question. When some overlay is not visible,
> because you used for instance <overlay-this| >, this overlay still
> takes its space, as the <phantom| > would do. How could make it
> totally disappear from the rendering, as would the command <hidden| > do ?

There are three variants of overlays:

- Standard (disabled text is phantomized).
- Compressed (disabled text is hidden).
- Greyed (disabled text is greyed).

Best wishes, --Joris