[TeXmacs] Hyphenation

  • From: Szymon Brzostowski <address@hidden>
  • To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] Hyphenation
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 16:16:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi.
I love using Texmacs, but often I have troubles with typesetting things the way I want. Namely, Texmacs engine seems to be unwilling to hyphenate words as often as it could in order to make the paragraph look more compact (I like things this way; hyphenation doesn't bother me at all). In such situations, I usually try to force Texmacs to hyphenate by introducing the "no-break" commands in appropriate places. Sometimes this works. But I've noticed that Aspell used by Texmacs seems to not know about many places where the given words can be correctly hyphenated (unless these possible places are ignored by Texmacs itself, which I don't presume is the case). So, often the last resort is the usage of "-" to make Texmacs hyphenate, but this is a terrible solution (when there are changes of a style for example the "-" is still there but in a wrong place - not at the end of a line).
Hence, I would like to propose two solutions for possible consideration by the Developers of Texmacs:

1. Implementation of discretionary hyphens, commonly used in word processors, which would allow for easy manual hyphenation  (probably this is easy to do).

2. Replacing Aspell by Hunspell which I think is MUCH better in hyphenating then Aspell (it is based on Tex algorithm for hyphenation; I use the page http://www.ushuaia.pl/hyphen/?ln=en, whose engine is Hunspell, to learn where to correctly hyphenate a given word). The homepage of Hunspell is http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/. Oh, and Hunspell uses the unicode character encoding.

Keep up the good work, and thank you for this great word processor,
Szymon Brzostowski