Re: [TeXmacs] A simplified mode that minimizes "focus" for new users?

  • From: Massimiliano Gubinelli <address@hidden>
  • To: Amir Michail <address@hidden>
  • Cc: Basile Audoly <address@hidden>, texmacs-users <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] A simplified mode that minimizes "focus" for new users?
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 09:28:18 +0200

Dear Amir,

On 23. May 2019, at 21:57, Amir Michail <address@hidden> wrote:

On May 22, 2019, at 9:16 AM, Massimiliano Gubinelli <address@hidden> wrote:

I do not agree with you. The fact that is unfamiliar does not mean it is useless or irrelevant. Texmacs is a structured editor, and the focus box reflect this, if a user fail to understand the structure then you do not understand why TeXmacs behaves in the way it does. I think is dangerous going too in the direction of pleasing the user. This would produce a crap UI. The user has first to understand the principles, after that all TeXmacs operations are quite uniform and nicely designed, in my opinion.

I am convinced now that the focus box is a good way to learn how TeXmacs works.

As for advanced users who want something less distracting, maybe only show the focus when your cursor is at the start or end of an environment.

If at the start, your cursor would look like “|_” and there would be a corresponding “_|” cursor at the end of the environment.  A similar thing would happen when you are at the end of an environment.

I think this would be less distracting than the focus box, especially if the other cursor color is not as noticeable as your actual cursor.

Interesting suggestion. Another possibility would be to make the focus box disappear after a short time (or any structure box). Or just leave the option to the user, like for the status bars or the menu bars, maybe bound to some key.

Anyway configuration of the colors should be possible. I also find the current colors not quite right on darker backgrounds.

Best
Max

Amir

Maybe you could try to explain better your point of view, I’m not sure I get it completely.

I can understand that sometimes you want to hide the focus, maybe while doing a presentation, for example.
Indeed the focus is hidden when you are in full-screen mode.

Best
Max