Re: project: improving generic session interface

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: project: improving generic session interface
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:35:42 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Christopher Lee wrote:

> I'm trying to improve the session interface and have an initial
> bit of code working. It allows you to insert a "mycas" session which
> starts up a bash shell and allows you to use other interactive
> programs (cf. Stephane Payrard's message of 24 Sept 2001). It's
> crude, but useful to me already so I thought I would put it out.
>
> -chris
>
> <<< From the README >>>
>
> ptyfilter
> ---------
> A generic pseudo-terminal interface to TeXmacs.
>
> Download site:
> ftp://retina3.wustl.edu:/pub/chris/texmacs-ptyfilter.tar.gz

Thanks a lot for your work. The program looks great,
although a few adjustments need to be made.
It would be nice if we could use your program as a replacement
for the usual 'shell' sessions. A few remarks:

* I needed to start bash with --rcfile instead of --init-file
in order to get things working. We would need something
which *always* works.

* Please name your program tm_bash and I will do the necessary so that
the initialization & style files will be OK in the next distribution.

* There seems to be a synchronization problem from time to time.
For instance, when doing 'ls -l', it may happen that I only get
a first part of the output and that I have to press return
in a new input in order to get the rest.

* What do you suggest in order to handle user input?
At the momentwe start a new input environment
for each new input. For certain applications (like 'more'),
one might want to do something else. Maybe several options
should be possible?

* About several options: in the future we might think about
enhancing your program in such a way that programs which
are written with this purpose in mind may provide structured
input and/or output, like the computer algebra systems
which have been linked to TeXmacs. That would yield the first
occurence (up to my knowledge) of a ``structured shell''.
A less ambitious project might also be colored output,
like the output of an 'ls'.

> I am new to TeXmacs and think it's great. I'm just starting to read
> through the documentation,, but I thought I might be able to help by
> improving the interfacing to outside functions. Version 0.01
> represents my first attempt.

Thanks; I think that you got some very good understanding of
the program so far, if you just began using it :^)
In any case, thanks again for your useful contribution and
I am indeed interested in further help.

Best regards,

Joris

  • Re: project: improving generic session interface, Joris van der Hoeven, 10/25/2001