texmacs styles programming (was: controlling table column widths)

  • From: Christopher Lee <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: texmacs styles programming (was: controlling table column widths)
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:56:42 -0500 (CDT)

>>>>> "Joris" == Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> writes:

Joris> I think that what you really want is some kind of "list"
Joris> environment, not a table-like one....
<snip>

Thanks for the help Joris! I have three questions/followups:

One: Where are the language primitives defined?

I looked at the styles yesterday: I'm having problems understanding
the style language. I've read through all the documentation---but
over an extended period of time---so it may be that I simply haven't
integrated it together yet.

I can narrow down the problem somewhat: when I look at lists.ts, I can
see that I have a series of assignments, functions and macros. For
example,

<assign|thetag|<with|mode|math|\<bullet\>>>

Might be translated as:

thetag = \<bullet\> in the environment where mode=math

Ok, that makes sense, but where is '<bullet>' defined? Is there a
place where environment variables and their meanings are listed?
I feel like I'm reading a language where I know the grammar, but have
no vocabulary for nouns and verbs.

Two: How can I make the code more readable?
Code like,

<assign|itemize|<macro|body|<surround|<format|no page break
before>|<vspace|0.5fn><format|no indentation after>|<with|left
margin|<plus|<value|left margin>|3fn>|item|<macro|<vspace*|0.5fn><with|firs\
t indentation|-1.5fn|<format|enable first
indentation>><resize|<apply|thetag> |||r]1.5fn|>>|<arg|body>>>>>

...is difficult for me to follow. Do you have settings in texmacs
that can help to make it look more readable? (The colors do help.)

Just a notion, but it seems it would be much easier to read this code
if I could simply write the style in something more lisp-like. White
space could be used for revealing program structure.

(assign 'itemize
(macro '(body)
(surround ...
)
)
)

Note, I'm not an expert lisp user, but I can always find my way
through it with help from emacs. The ability to get documentation via
docstrings and interactive help is invaluable.

Three: gencc and C++ coding techniques

Is there a way to use the standard templates library in texmacs source
code? While working on the pipes.gen.cc code, I tried using some STL
functions and gencc didn't like it. Is there a way to get access to
them?

I apologise if all these questions/design issues have already been
hashed out. Thanks again.

-chris