Re: Improving eqnarray

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Improving eqnarray
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 23:35:17 +0100 (MET)

> > To improve the centring of columns 2,3,4 I'd like to be able to
> > automatically set the width of columns 1 and 5 equal to the width of the
> > widest column. This should stop the entering of column 1 or column 5
> > maths moving the 2,3,4 cells to the right or left respectively. If
> > someone could give me some pointers how to achive this I'd appreciate
> > it.
>
> I found a way to get this result using some little known table voodoo:
> decorations. Essentially I use a table with 7 columns:
>
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
> ++---------------+----+-+----+---------------------------------------++
> (x) y(x) = ax+b x\in{0,1}
> ++---------------+----+-+----+---------------------------------------++
>
> The columns 1 and 7 (who contains the text at the end of lines) are forced
> width=0, while columns 2 and 6 are set to hpart (part of horizontal unused
> part) of 1. As a consequence, columns 3,4,5 are centered and their position
> is not affected by text in columns 1,6.
>
> The trick is to make columns 2 and 6 be decorations of columns 1 and 7
> (resp.) So they will not be editable.

You should also notice that it is possible to use TAB inside cells.
Even though the structure of TAB is not as clean as a 5 columns table,
this construct allows you to put customized equation numbers at the left
or at the right (for instance). The main advantage of using TAB
is the fact that it remains correct when one of the cells is so long
that it is hyphenated across several lines.

-Joris-