Re: maple session

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: Gosse Michel <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: maple session
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 16:18:01 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 18 May 2002, Gosse Michel wrote:

> When i launch a maple session in texmacs, i have only the promt
> maple]
> but nothing else
> it seems that maple is not starting with the tm file..

Maple is not supported either yet. Christian Even has written
a tentative interface which depends on an obscure and undocumented
feature of Maple which is only present in Maple 7 and higher.
In order to try his interface, you should compile TeXmacs
yourself and also do a 'make EXPERIMENTAL'.

In fact, it would be nice if someone could take a few days
to write a better interface, which also works with older versions
of Maple (the new license system in Maple 7 is particularly
violent and unfriendly and it is highly recommended not to
buy such software).

In order to write a better Maple interface, we recommend
to determine the central routines which are responsible
for output (normal output, errors, other messages) and
to substitute them with new routines which directly
generate appropriate LaTeX which can be fed in to TeXmacs.
In order to generate LaTeX, we also recommend *not* to use
the standard Maple routines, but to write something better;
this would make it possible to cut and paste Maple output
to other computer algebra systems. Also, it would be
an opportunity to improve the ouput, for instance by
outputting polynomials with the terms being ordered on degree...

Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
http://www.texmacs.org: GNU TeXmacs scientific text editor
http://www.math.u-psud.fr/~vdhoeven: personal homepage