numbering and newtheorem and LaTeX conversions

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: numbering and newtheorem and LaTeX conversions
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 19:06:37 +0200 (MET DST)

> I would also like to ask a question.
> Is it possible to choose the numerotation which
> comes with the environnements (Theorem, Proposition, etc.) ?
> I mean is there an easy way to choose the numerotation as
> \section\subsection\subsubsection or simply numbers 1,2,3 ?

In the next version (1.0.0.17) you will have two packages

number-europe
number-long-article

in Document->Use package->number.
The first one can be used to number theorem-like structures
in European style and the second one does just what you ask.
More generally, you may change the "theprefix" environment variable,
which is a function which produces the prefix for all theorem-like
environments.

Notice also that one has to be careful with the "newtheorem" command.
If you need your own supplementary theorem-like environments,
then you *must* put these in a custom style file;
otherwise they may not be taken into account w.r.t. numbering.

This also "solves" the previous question about exporting/importing
this function to/from LaTeX. Indeed, the document should not
contain such instructions at all and you should use your own TeXmacs
style file for this. You should construct a corresponding LaTeX style
file for the LaTeX conversion. If you want to submit your paper to
a journal, then you just add your extra macros in this LaTeX style file
to the preamble of your document at the moment of publication.

Notice that this strategy is good for other problems with LaTeX
conversions. If you identify a particular conversion problem which
can not easily be solved, then you just put the problematic code
in a TeXmacs style file and write the corresponding LaTeX style
file yourself.