key-binding suggestions

  • From: Norbert Nemec <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: key-binding suggestions
  • Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:55:44 +0200

Hi there,

I'm quite new to texmacs, but I'm just amazed by the possibilities it
offers and I have already used it for typesetting quite an amount of
formulas.

However, there's a number of details, where, IMHO, the comfort of the
program could still be greatly improved, namely, the keybindings
for moving around within mathematical environments and maybe the whole
text:

* First is about the [Home] and the [End] key: at the moment, they simply
jump to the end of the whole environment. Editing large formulas, I hardly
ever
want to get there. My suggetion would be to make them move the cursor to the
end of the innermost enclosing block, then, if the cursor already is at the
end
of a block, move up one block and so on. That way, a large number of
important spots
of the formula could be reached with just a few times of hitting [Home] or
[End]

* I badly miss the possibility for C-left and C-right for moving word-wise.
Within
formulas, that could mean something like "move without entering blocks" which
would
be really helpful.

* When marking text of parts of formulas using S-[direction], the cursor
moves just
as usual, even though marking is only possible for whole blocks. Why not just
jump
larger steps in marking mode? When marking a portion of text, there is really
no point
in being able to position the cursor more exactly than the marking itself is
possible.
On the other hand, right now, you need to move characterwise through the
whole portion
you want to mark.

There is a number of other details like this, that could probably be greatly
improved without much coding effort. It would be great to get some opinions
about it
and find someone who can build up the fascination necessary to do the
fine-tuning
necessary to make the whole thing really *feel* smug and comfortable...

(Usually, the simpler the rules behind the movements, the more people will be
able to use them efficiently. It should not be necessary to learn them, but
just
guessing should be enough to use them.)

Ciao,
Nobbi

--
-- Hindenburgstr. 44 ... D-91054 Erlangen ... Germany

  • key-binding suggestions, Norbert Nemec, 09/30/2002