Re: Hacking TeXmacs styles (WAS:headers with hrule)

  • From: Nicolas Girard <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: Hacking TeXmacs styles (WAS:headers with hrule)
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:25:59 +0100

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 06:04:01PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > I wrote the following function:
> >
> > <assign|odd-page-text|<func|a|b|c|\
> > <assign|odd page header|\
> > <with|font size|0.84|<format|no first indentation>
> > <apply|hflush>
> > <em|<apply|a>>
> > <htab|5mm>
> > <apply|b>
> > <htab|5mm>
> > <apply|c> <quote|<apply|page number>>
> > \;
> > <value|hrule>>>>>
>
> I advise you not to use the default format for hacking (and submitting
> snippets to the mailing list). It is difficult to read for style
> definitions and must be used very carefully to get the desired
> meaning.

Well the default format seems the most natural for me as it is the
on i can type in TeXmacs style files

So unless you give me a straightforward way of converting
a given scheme expression to a ready-to-cut-and-paste native
format, i'm afraid i'll go on using the default format...

As for exchanging tips and ideas through the mailing-lists,
i agree that the scheme format is more readeable but, as you
already pointed out in a previous mail:

> There are very subtle problems in the typesetter with that kind of things.
>
> With "Tools->Selections->Export->Scheme" you will be able to see the
> internal structure of any document fragment. Actually, the internal
> structure is not Scheme, but that scheme format is the closest you can
> easily get.
>
> <assign|myenv|<macro|x|<argument|x>>>
> Gives
> (assign "myenv" (macro "x" (argument "x")))
> which is all very obvious. But
> <assign|myenv|<macro|x|Hello <argument|x>>>
> gives
> (assign "myenv" (macro "x" (concat "Hello " (argument "x"))))
> The extra concat is needed to put several elements (here, the string
> "Hello " and the argument) in a single parameter of the macro element.

so one has to be aware of all these 'subtle' thing to be able to read
scheme code, which is not the case for common users, who IMHO learn
TeXmacs through .tm and .ts documents and not through the source code

Nicolas