Re: Privacy considerations

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: <address@hidden>
  • Subject: Re: Privacy considerations
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:06:18 +0200 (CEST)

> I am going to use texmacs for some extremely delicate work. Maybe I'm
> starting
> to become a little paranoid, but rather that than the other way around. My
> setup is:
>
> I have the working directory and /tmp both mounted as Linux-tmpfs
> directories.
> The contents of the working directory are regularly backed up to a
> gnupg-encrypted archive. Swapspace is deactivated (512M RAM ought to be
> enough...)
>
> At reboot all unencrypted data should be guaranteed to be irretrievably
> lost.
> I myself can simply restore it from the last backup, being asked for my
> passphrase.
>
> Now, concerning texmacs: is there any risk sensitive data is written to
> other
> places than the directory where the file resides (even temporarily)? I found
> .TeXmacs/system/autosave.tm, but that seems to be used only for yet-unnamed
> files. Printing, of course is an issue as well. Anything else I should take
> care of?

At the moment, we put everything in ~/.TeXmacs, except for
temporary files, which are created using tmpnam (this is indeed unsafe).
Nevertheless, temporary files are mostly used for not-so-important data,
like the conversion of images. Also, we soon plan to put all temporary
files in ~/.TeXmacs/system. As to printing: we create a .ps files in
~/.TeXmacs/system and print it using the lpr or a user-defined command.