Re: no Alt-Gr-Keys on german keyboard

  • From: Marten Bauer <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: no Alt-Gr-Keys on german keyboard
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 15:26:06 +0000

Am Donnerstag, 15. Mai 2003 11:20 schrieb Klaus-Dieter Möller:
> Hi,
>
> I've tested a lot but I can't get the Alt-Gr-Key to work properly on a
> german keyboard. In all other programs Alt-Gr does work.
> Please let me know if there is a way to make it work.
Hello,
this is not a problem of Texmacs. I have got the same problem with SuSE 8.2 /
Logitech itouch keyboard. When you open a console and press ALT-GR and '+'
then there is also not '~'. In the kde console the ALT-GR Key also do not
work.
It's a problem of the new xserver version. I solved the problem once, but
until now I could not exactly recognize how. I tell you my way.

You must modify the xmodmap (keyboard mapping).
First you can start 'xev' in an console and press 'ALT-GR' to get the ksym of
the ALT-GR key.
Then you must write something like this:
xmodmap -e 'keysym=0xff7e Mode_switch' .
0xff7e is the keysm code in my case.

Once it worked on my SuSE 8.2 but when i tried it again it is never working.
I used SuSE 8.2 on several computers but only on my home computer the problem
appears.

I hope I could help you a little bit. I can only give you this hint, because
on my other System (Debian Sarge) it works. But there is an older xfree
running.

Bye the way
Marten