Re: [TeXmacs] Re: garbage in saved files

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: xScruffx <address@hidden>
  • Cc: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Re: garbage in saved files
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:21:08 +0200

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 08:21:42PM -0700, xScruffx wrote:
> Oh, this is a Linux box. I've pretty much tracked the strangeness down.
> The garbage is only written to the saved file/current buffer after an
> autosave occurs.
>
> That being said, is there a way to disable the autosave(or if I'm using
> the incorrect term there, the backup save to filename.tm~).
[...]
> > > GCC: 3.2.3
> > > glibc: 2.3.2
> > > teTeX: 2.0.2 (though it occurs with 1.0.7 as well)
> > > libtool: 1.5
> > > XFree86: 4.3.0.1

Mhh.... autosave strangeness... g++-3.2.3...

Try compiling texmacs with:

-- optimizations disabled: ./configure --disable-optimize

-- g++-3.3 (if you have it around)

or try using the static distribution, which supposedly is compiled
correctly.

There are bugs in all g++-3 before 3.3 which caused weird problems
with texmacs. One place when this was reproducible was in the autosave
code.

These problems were worked around by disabling inlining (a specific
optimization) with the buggy gcc releases, but maybe there is another
rare bug in g++ you are hitting.

--
-- ddaa