[TeXmacs] TTF in tm

  • From: Ingolf Meyer <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] TTF in tm
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:16:00 +0100

Hi,

this is just something that answers the question: How to use True Type
Fonts in TeXmacs? And more specific on MacOS X?
I consider this a little bit delicate, so I would like to let others
know. (I think there should be a faq entry or something in the
documentation concerning true type fonts.)

First of all, to my knowledge TeXmacs supports only the luxi font and
the so called microsoft corefonts like verdana, comicsans, etc.
You can add your own fonts in

$TEXMACS_PATH/progs/fonts/fonts-truetype.scm

The next thing is TeXmacs uses locate to find fonts. It searches for
*.ttf. So in case TeXmacs does not find your font.
Try

> locate <fontname>.ttf

If the font is there and in fonts-truetype.scm, you should see it in
the TeXmacs menu. (Be sure to update to locate database, after
installation :-)

With MacOS X you might have the microsoft corefonts installed, but you
can't use them in TeXmacs. This is because MacOS X bundles the fonts
to one file. You may find /System/Library/Fonts/Verdana e.g. , but
TeXmacs looks for verdana.ttf.

There are in principle two solutions: Use fondu (http://fondu.sf.net)
to get the .ttf files or download the microsoft corefonts and extract
them, cf. http://corefonts.sf.net/ . I suggest the second
alternative, because the font files in the net, contain more glyphs
than the ones shipped with MacOS X. (With fink you might use a package
called applesystemfonts. I don't use fink, so I can't tell, whether
this works or not. As I understand, this package is a shell script
that calls fondu.)

Once you have the .ttf files and updated the locate database

> sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb

everything should work fine.

The above works with TeXmacs 1.0.3. Maybe the font search algorithm
will change in future.

Ingolf