Re: [TeXmacs] Table of contents

  • From: David Allouche <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Table of contents
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:30:26 +0100

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 11:41:54AM +0100, Javier Arántegui Jiménez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all, thank you David for your fast answer.
>
> El Miércoles, 28 de Enero de 2004 10:44, David Allouche escribió:
>
> > However, you should be aware that updating the page numbers _might_
> > change some line breaks and that _can_ change the page references.
> > That's the reason the table of contents should generally be updated
> > twice if you want to be certain it will get correct references.
>
> If the TOC must be updated twice, could it be possible that TeXmacs did it
> automatically? Or, is there any reason to prevent TeXmacs update the TOC 2
> 3 times?

In principle, that could be done.

But doing it correctly would be a bit more involved than just generating
the TOC multiple times, which can be quite time consuming for big
documents.

The correct way would be:

0. Switch to Page media type.

1. Update the buffer, that fills the auxilliary documents.

2. Update the TOC.

3. Get the displayed text of all pagerefs used in TOC.

2. Update the buffer, that updates pagerefs.

3. Get the displayed text of all pagerefs used in the new TOC.

4. If there are new or changed pagerefs, go to 2.

5. Restore the initial media type.

The main reason why it is not currently done is probably that nobody has
implemented it yet.

> So, I have another question. Why does not 'Abstract' appear in the standard
> TOC?

Because the "abstract" macro does not create a TOC entry. Well, maybe
that is not the answer you were looking for... Probably this is not
generally considered useful and nobody has implemented a way to make
this optional.

--
-- ddaa