using the X compose key

  • From: Ralf Treinen <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: using the X compose key
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 16:26:43 +0200

Hi,

I have a user complaining about the following problem: He has configured
X such that his multi-key is not identical to any of the modifier keys
(shift, control, alt, etc.). For instance, on my keyboard,
I have an otherwise completeley useless "menu" key between the right
windows keys and the right control key which I can use for this purpose,
by setting

xmodmap -e "keycode 117 = Multi_key"

(117 is the keycode of this menu button). Now, I can use this menu
button as a compose key in an X Terminal, but not in TeXmacs. Is
there any way to have texmacs understand this multi-key? One possible
solution would be to have TeXmacs accept the mult-key as an alias for
Alternate, in case it is not already identical to any of the other
recognized modifiers. How can this be achieved?

-Ralf.