Re: [TeXmacs] using the X compose key

  • From: Ralf Treinen <address@hidden>
  • To: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] using the X compose key
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 18:01:32 +0200

Hi Joris,

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 05:25:09PM +0200, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> > I have a user complaining about the following problem: He has configured
> > X such that his multi-key is not identical to any of the modifier keys
> > (shift, control, alt, etc.). For instance, on my keyboard,
> > I have an otherwise completeley useless "menu" key between the right
> > windows keys and the right control key which I can use for this purpose,
> > by setting
> >
> > xmodmap -e "keycode 117 = Multi_key"
> >
> > (117 is the keycode of this menu button). Now, I can use this menu
> > button as a compose key in an X Terminal, but not in TeXmacs. Is
> > there any way to have texmacs understand this multi-key? One possible
> > solution would be to have TeXmacs accept the mult-key as an alias for
> > Alternate, in case it is not already identical to any of the other
> > recognized modifiers. How can this be achieved?
>
> You should read the documentation about configuring the keyboard.
>
> Help -> Configuration -> Keyboard modifiers
>
> That said, I actually do not fully understand the way X deals with
> keyboard modifiers myself. The system seems to be quite complicated,
> dependent on the version of X, and very unstable as a function of
> the actual keyboard being used. If someone is willing to reshape
> the way TeXmacs deals with keyboard modifiers in a correct and
> more comprehensive way, then I will be happy to integrate such work...

Thanks for your answer. I know this page, but it doesn't help in
this case. The problem is that, apparently, the Multi-key is not
considered as a key modifier (for instance, it does not show up
in the listing that you get from the xmodmap command). It is
something else, but I don't understand either what it is.

-Ralf.