Re: [TeXmacs] using the X compose key

  • From: Lionel Elie Mamane <address@hidden>
  • To: Ralf Treinen <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] using the X compose key
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:34:53 +0200

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 04:26:43PM +0200, Ralf Treinen wrote:

> I have a user complaining about the following problem: He has configured
> X such that his multi-key is not identical to any of the modifier keys

That would be me?

> For instance, on my keyboard, I have an otherwise completeley
> useless "menu" key between the right windows keys and the right
> control key which I can use for this purpose, by setting

> xmodmap -e "keycode 117 = Multi_key"

> (117 is the keycode of this menu button).

Just as a passing note, the xkb way of doing this would be to add
option "compose:menu". This can be done:

(per user)
- by running "setxkbmap -option compose:menu"
- Gnome2 has a GUI for that
(system-wide)
- adding
OPtion "XkbOptions" "altwin:left_meta_win"
to the keyboard InputDevice option of XF86Config-4

> Is there any way to have texmacs understand this multi-key?

The only hint I can give is the one in my Debian bug report: Try
fiddling with "input methods", that solved the problem for
gnome-terminal. When I told it to use ("open") the "Input Method" (in
the preferences), it started working.

--
Lionel

  • Re: [TeXmacs] using the X compose key, Lionel Elie Mamane, 08/31/2004