Styles

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Styles
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 17:14:28 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

I'm a newbie to TeXmacs, so forgive what may be a stupid question.

I'm a bit confused about the Document | Styles. On part of the menu (the
submenu for Mathematics) TeXmacs lists what appear to be three journal or
other standard formats (e.g. acmconf). On the Documentation menu, it lists
what appear to be seven different standard formats for documentation. On the
main style menu, it lists various generic document types (e.g., "book").

Now here's my confusion:

1. The Mathematics choices seem to refer to specific publication outlets. As
such, I would expect there to be a host of such choices, from AACE
International Transactions to Zygon. On the other hand, I would expect
Mathematics to refer only to specific STYLES for formatting mathematics. In
this case, I'd still expect to see more than 3 such styles, but corresponding
to style guides (e.g., Turabian) rather than publication outlets. So what is
this Mathematics submenu about?

2. The document types on the main Style menu makes sense, but I don't see how
one chooses a style to apply to these types. For example, there are numerous
styles for formatting an article. Some, such as Chicago A, are style-guide
specific; others are publication-specific. So how does one specify what style
to apply to a specific document type? (As my question's wording implies, I
think the menus are misnamed. The choices are really choices of document
TYPES, not STYLES. I don't see how to choose a style.)

3. Is there some repository of styles? In particular, I want to use Chicago
Manual of Style, 15th ed, author-date for references and citations in
conjunction with any of several possible journal or publisher styles. Chicago
15th ed. style for books would be fine for now. I'd be really surprised if a
software supported by its user community, such as TeXmacs had no such thing.
Each new user would be reinventing the wheel.

Thanks.

Marsh Feldman