Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs for poster presentations?

  • From: address@hidden
  • To: address@hidden, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs for poster presentations?
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 14:42:23 +0000 (GMT)
  • Envelope-from: address@hidden

Hi Alex ;-)!

I'm glad I was able to convince you of using TeXmacs :-). And in fact I have
used it to design a scientific poster. My approach was quite hacky, like in
the former pre-CSS webdesign days I used nested tables with multi-paragraph
cells to create the colored background and positioning of the text areas.

The drawback is you need a fast machine because TeXmacs really slows down
with nested tables of that size...

I've attached a pdf version of the poster. If anyone is interested, I could
post a .tm file as well, but there are some problems because it's about 2
years old, so it has got some issues with style files in the current TeXmacs
versions.

See you,

Benno.

>>Is TeXmacs suited for developing scientific posters for conferences? Has
>>anyone done so and can give some pointers?
>>

>I never did it yet, but it should definitely be possible to use the
>graphics editor to do posters.
>
>To do it, the best would be to set the dimensions of the graphics
>to the height and the width of the page, using resp "1pag" for the
>height and "1par" for the width. This way, your graphics always fills
>the whole page.
>
>Then you can put different text boxes inside the graphics (but the
>edition is not very convenient in some cases, for example it is not
>very easy to deal with text boxes containing themselves another graphics).
>
>Finally, you can change the page size & set it to a bigger
>format (e.g, A1, A0, B0, etc.).
>
>(See the attached .tm file for a example that could be used as a
>starting point).
>
>To summarize, TeXmacs is not completely suited right now for developing
>posters, but you can already do it with some effort.
>
>Thank you for raising this question, in effect it is an interesting
>and very useful area. Now that the point has been noticed, I will
>not forget to include poster edition in the domains of interest
>for future developments, improvements, etc.
>

>>Whilst TeXmacs doesn't currently meet my needs for writing articles
>>
>Why ?

  • Re: [TeXmacs] TeXmacs for poster presentations?, mail, 11/04/2005