Re: [TeXmacs] Pasting math formulas

  • From: Todd Wilson <address@hidden>
  • To: spitters <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Pasting math formulas
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:44:00 -0400

spitters wrote:
On Saturday 31 March 2007 20:40:36 Todd Wilson wrote:
I'm using TeXmacs version 1.0.6.9. Sometimes, when I cut and paste math
formulas, everything works fine, but other times, what I get when I
paste is a "semi-sourced" version of the formula, with things like
<Gamma> and <alpha> in red,

This happens when you cut and paste only the \Gamma, not the surrounding math mode ($).

I hope this helps.

I'm not sure :-). Here is what I imagine to be the optimal behavior with respect to cutting and pasting math:

1. If the cut text begins and ends inside of a single math environment, and then is pasted inside a math environment, then there should be no change to the text. If the math text is pasted within regular text (i.e., outside a math environment), then a new math environment should be created that contains only the pasted text.

2. If you try to make a cut that includes both regular text and *part* of a math environment, then the cut text should actually be made to include all of the math environment or none of it (maybe giving the user a configuration option to choose which is the default behavior). Better yet, it should be impossible to make a selection (red box) that includes both regular text and only part of a math environment.

3. If a cut that includes both regular and math text (and thus, by 2, entire math environments) is pasted inside regular text, then the obvious thing should happen. However, if such a cut is pasted within a math environment, then the "boxing" of the text should be reversed: the included math environments should be opened ("emptied"), and the maximal strings of surrounding regular text should become text environments within the math.

In particular, I can't see *any* use for the current behavior of TeXmacs, which I described in the quote above, since I'm always left with useless text. If TeXmacs followed 1, 2, and 3 above, at least it would leave the paste in the most usable form for its context.

Todd Wilson