Inserting negative vertical space between paragraphs

  • From: Robert Lamar <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Inserting negative vertical space between paragraphs
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:11:45 +0100

Fellow TeXmacs users,

I am trying to develop a style which allows me to surround blocks of text with boxes. Currently, the best way to do this seems to be to create a macro which inserts the text into a table of exactly one cell. One example of code which does something like what I want is

-------------- begin example --------------

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit.

<tabular|<tformat|<twith|table-lborder|.1pt>|<twith|table-rborder|.1pt>|<twith|table-bborder|.1pt>|<twith|table-tborder|.1pt>|<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-hyphen|t>|<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-width|1par>|<cwith|1|1|1|1|cell-hmode|min>|<table|<row|<\cell>
Morbi suscipit. Mauris faucibus ligula vitae felis. In ligula libero,
vestibulum vel, fringilla vel, facilisis at, neque. Donec lacinia.
Phasellus viverra viverra turpis. Praesent eget augue. Aliquam vulputate
augue at diam.
</cell>>>>>

Morbi cursus, dui quis posuere ullamcorper, dui mi elementum nibh, ut laoreet
lacus orci eget ante.

My main complaint with this is as follows: when the text within the table takes up less than one line, all is well. When the text wraps around to a second line, additional space is inserted before and after the table. It appears to be the case that the paragraph above has inserted space before the table, and the paragraph within the table has inserted space above itself, but the table border has wrapped tightly to its contents instead of lying between these two spaces.

Accordingly, I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to insert negative space between paragraphs?

2. Is anyone here able to see a better way to accomplish my goal?

Ultimately, I do not think that tables will be robust enough for my needs, because it is not possible for them to break over tables, and I anticipate surrounding multiple pages of text in these boxes. However, they should suffice for now.

My installation is TeXmacs 1.0.6.7 on Fedora Core 5. Thanks for your help and attention.

Robert Lamar