Re: [TeXmacs] Re: some specific and basic questions

  • From: Robert Jerrard <address@hidden>
  • To: Todd Wilson <address@hidden>
  • Cc: Yuliang Wang <address@hidden>, address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Re: some specific and basic questions
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:50:29 -0600

On Wed, 2007-25-04 at 15:01 -0400, Todd Wilson wrote:
> Robert Jerrard wrote:
> >>>
> >> Probably, although I don't know how to do this
> >> specific thing. In any case, you can always achieve
> >> exactly what you want by means of directly editing
> >> the markup, as explained in, e.g. :
> >> http://www.ags.uni-sb.de/~henri/texmacs/aTeXmacsTutorial.pdf
> >
> > The approach I have used for this is to place the cursor between the two
> > t's and select the menu item Insert->Space->Rigid then enter 0mm in the
> > dialog for the Horizontal space option then hit OK. This tells TeXmacs
> > that the t's are single letters rather than a two letter combination.
>
> Even easier than inserting a rigid space is to position yourself between
> the two t's and hit "*". This is documented in the manual somewhere,
> but the idea is that if you want to "multiply" two variables then you
> use "*", which inserts a "juxtaposition operator". (This isn't very
> convenient for multiple-letter variable names, though. I'd probably
> define a macro for those.)

The thing I don't like about using the multiplication symbol in this
fashion is the space it leave between the letters which is larger than
0mm. If you can live with the space it certainly is easier. I find the
space more of a problem in the dx symbol of an integral. There I like
the script version of dx but do not like the space that a multiplication
symbol creates.

Regard, Bob
--
Dr. Robert J. Jerrard, Professor of Mathematics,
Concordia University College of Alberta,