Re: some specific and basic questions

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: Yuliang Wang <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: some specific and basic questions
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:52:44 +0200

Yuliang Wang wrote:

Hello, the dear authors of TeXmacs,

First of all, thank you for producing this fantastic software! I have been looking for a WYSIWYG math doc editor for a long time, and your software realizes my dream. It's like editing directly on the paper.

We are happy that you found our work useful. A little
thing : if you post a question that could be interesting
for other people as well, post on the list, as I just do.

Here are some questions in my mind for some time:

1. A specific question: In the math mode, I can't get "u_{tt}" or anything similar to that, because the two t's will automatically become text instead of math font. That feature is useful when I want math operators like max, lim or Re, but sometimes we do use multiple-letter math variables. Is that feature configurable in the current version of TeXmacs?

Probably, although I don't know how to do this
specific thing. In any case, you can always achieve
exactly what you want by means of directly editing
the markup, as explained in, e.g. :
http://www.ags.uni-sb.de/~henri/texmacs/aTeXmacsTutorial.pdf

2. A basic question: In the math mode, one use the right arrow key to leave the current environment. But I think it's much better to replace it by the space bar, it's simply more convenient and natural for typing equations. Is that configurable?

Yes, you can reprogram the keys to perform the operation
you want. You need to walk a little bit through the TeXmacs
code, in order to find exactly the chunk of code performed
by the arrows in math mode, and re-assign it to the space
key in math mode.

3. The user interface is really not so convenient. For example, when I want to set the margins, I need repeatedly click the menu to find the "Odd page left margin", "Odd page right margin", etc. It would be much better if there is a dialog in which I can set all the margin values in one time.

We are working on improving the dialogs, but it will not
be finished quickly, we need some months.

3. A more basic question: TeXmacs integrates and can exports LaTex, but why is it NOT BASED on LaTeX? I am not an expert in computer language, but I think this software would become more powerful and popular if it is based on LaTex, since most users will use it for typing scientific reports and papers.

This is of course because LaTeX, and especially the
underlying language TeX are as a matter of fact absolutely
crappy languages : TeX is a turing-complete langage.

The file format & macro language of TeXmacs are
modern, XML-like languages, designed from the
very beginning to be clean.