some more desktop-compliance and some less old stuff

  • From: Dennis Heuer <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: some more desktop-compliance and some less old stuff
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 11:00:14 +0200

hello all,

i'm a newbie to texmacs and definetely not using it for printing
formulas, etc. actually, i was just searching for a substitute for
abiword because that tool is not going anywhere.

texmacs looks quite usable to me, and i like powerful tools. i've also
read about your work on re-organizing things and look forward for that.
however, some things seem to be not on the list. for example, texmacs
could make use of fontconfig to find other fonts than the common tex
fonts. it also tries to provide default fonts not installed on my
system, like some X fonts. a more "common" and dynamic support for
fonts would be very appreceated.

this is also true for some other features like remembering the last
position and geometry of the window or using the same gtk-theme as
the desktop, etc (including same font, gtkfilechooser, and the new gtk+
printer configuration). a .desktop file would be nice too.

there are also several %MYDOCS% directories on my filesystem that i
don't find appropriate there. freedesktop.org has defined special
folders for such and other cases, like .config or .cache in the home
directory.

texmacs also seems to use some old tools that i don't really know of why
they are used. i don't have xmodmap or locatedb for personal choice.
for a luck, this doesn't produce crashes like missing fonts.
interestingly, my system also misses pdf2* for whatever reasons. but i
found out that poppler (the new pdf library at freedesktop.org, based
on cairo and used in evince, epdfview, etc.) brings similar tools with
it, like pdftohtml, pdftops, pdftoabw, pdftoppm, and pdftotext. possibly
you want to support these tools.

nevertheless, that i write this all to you shows that the overall
texmacs appearance has pleased my eyes much more than abiword :)

best wishes,
dennis