Re: [TeXmacs] some more desktop-compliance and some less old stuff

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] some more desktop-compliance and some less old stuff
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 12:45:57 +0200

Hi Dennis,

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 11:00:14AM +0200, Dennis Heuer wrote:
> texmacs looks quite usable to me, and i like powerful tools. i've also
> read about your work on re-organizing things and look forward for that.
> however, some things seem to be not on the list.

The list is somewhat outdated itself...

> for example, texmacs
> could make use of fontconfig to find other fonts than the common tex
> fonts. it also tries to provide default fonts not installed on my
> system, like some X fonts. a more "common" and dynamic support for
> fonts would be very appreceated.

Yes, we are aware of this.

> this is also true for some other features like remembering the last
> position and geometry of the window or using the same gtk-theme as
> the desktop, etc (including same font, gtkfilechooser, and the new gtk+
> printer configuration). a .desktop file would be nice too.

Yes.

> there are also several %MYDOCS% directories on my filesystem that i
> don't find appropriate there.

Which ones?

> freedesktop.org has defined special folders for such and other cases,
> like .config or .cache in the home directory.

These things change all the time. Let's wait a bit...

> texmacs also seems to use some old tools that i don't really know of why
> they are used. i don't have xmodmap or locatedb for personal choice.

These have indeed to be removed.

> interestingly, my system also misses pdf2* for whatever reasons.

Support of converters is another thing which changes all the time.

> but i found out that poppler (the new pdf library at freedesktop.org, based
> on cairo and used in evince, epdfview, etc.) brings similar tools with
> it, like pdftohtml, pdftops, pdftoabw, pdftoppm, and pdftotext. possibly
> you want to support these tools.

This is easy to fix: if you have propositions for missing (image) converters,
then send a patch for the file

progs/convert/images/init-images.scm

> nevertheless, that i write this all to you shows that the overall
> texmacs appearance has pleased my eyes much more than abiword :)

Thanks, Joris