WMI2 has been released

  • From: "Zoltán Kovács" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, "Chris Sangwin" <address@hidden>, address@hidden, "chu-ching huang" <address@hidden>
  • Cc: "Vajda Robert" <address@hidden>, Arpad <address@hidden>, "Kornél Csernai" <address@hidden>, "address@hidden" <address@hidden>, address@hidden, "Nagy Csaba" <address@hidden>, "Miklos Maroti" <address@hidden>, "Bencs József" <address@hidden>, "Kevei Attila" <address@hidden>, "Zana Róbert" <address@hidden>, "Gabor Ancsin" <address@hidden>, "Nagy Gábor" <address@hidden>, "NEMETH Zoltan" <address@hidden>, Karsai <address@hidden>, "Lajos Szilassi" <address@hidden>, "Sárvári Csaba" <address@hidden>, "Zsolt Lavicza" <address@hidden>
  • Subject: WMI2 has been released
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 02:47:20 +0200

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

we are happy to announce WebMathematics Interactive 2.0 (WMI2) which has been released a few hours ago.

WMI2 is currently a graphical web front-end for the Maxima CAS and Gnuplot, the GNU function plotting utiltiy. What's more, WMI2 can be easily extended to be a front-end for arbitrary CAS or other mathematics software.

We focus on education and ease of use. The targeted group of students are at age of 14-21. Normally the users should not know any kind of syntax of the underlying CAS. Our development was supported by University of Szeged, Hungary and Ministry of Education and Informatics (back in 2003). The alpha version of this software has been presented to an expert audience at the CADGME conference, Pécs, Hungary, June 2007.

The current version offers 50 different kinds of computations for 5 different areas of mathematics. The previous (1.0) version of our software has been continously used in education at University of Szeged and other colleges and universities world-wide. We humbly appreciate all kind of feedback of your experiences trying out the new version of WMI.

More information:

* On-line demo: http://matek.hu
* Documentation: http://matek.hu/doc (including 3 short movies in English and 3 in Hungarian)
* Download area: http://matek.hu/downloads/
* Old version: http://matek.hu/1
* Details of development: http://wmi.math.u-szeged.hu/~kovzol/cadgme.php (obsolete)
* Contact: address@hidden

Best regards,
Zoltan Kovacs
lead developer
assistant professor at Bolyai Institute
University of Szeged, Hungary

  • WMI2 has been released, Zoltán Kovács, 09/30/2007