Re: macaulay 2 in texmacs

  • From: Henri Lesourd <address@hidden>
  • To: "Rogers, Mark W" <address@hidden>
  • Cc: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: macaulay 2 in texmacs
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 04:53:38 +0100

Rogers, Mark W wrote:

I am able to run M2 inside the shell I find in Ubuntu at
Applications>Accessories>Terminal; it seems to work fine.

Hmm...

I run into trouble when I try to run M2 inside a shell in TeXmacs: Insert>Session>Shell. I
see the introductory information from M2, but I never receive an input prompt, and when I type 2+2
<enter>, I don't receive a response. At the bottom of the TeXmacs window I see "generic
program roman 10 [busy]", even after about 10 minutes on a reasonably fast computer.

I just saw this, in fact the "Shell" plugin is now buggy,
not only for Macaulay, but as soon as commands are not
one-shot commands, it doesn't work anymore ;-(...

That's annoying, all this means that there is a problem
in the connection between Macaulay2 and TeXmacs, whether
the root cause is in the version of TeXmacs, or either
in the version of Macaulay2, this I don't know.

As for me, I run the version 0.9.2 of Macaulay 2, and it
works perfectly with the very last development version of
TeXmacs (1.0.6.12.).

Another thing : Macaulay 2 was crashing recently, I
remember I had to reinstall / reinitialize it by means
of running "./setup" from inside the Macaulay/lib in
the directories of the M2 distribution. Perhaps should
you try this ?