Re: [TeXmacs] SAGE

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] SAGE
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 22:25:31 +0100

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 04:01:41PM +0100, Henri Lesourd wrote:
> >Sage
> >
> >http://www.sagemath.org
> >
> >presents itself as a texmacs competitor:
> >
> >http://www.sagemath.org/screen_shots/.html/sage_vs_texmacs.html
> >
> >mostly for interfacing with computer algebra systems. Did anyone look at
> >it?
> >Perhaps they have ideas (or even code) that could be useful for texmacs
> >too.

Just to confirm that I know about the initiative.

> What they do is quite good, but it should more be seen
> as complementary to what TeXmacs does than as a competitor.
>
> As they put it (the emplasis is mine) :
> [[
> The aim is to provide software that can be used to --explore--
> and --experiment-- with mathematical constructions in algebra
> geometry, number theory, calculus, numerical computation, etc.
> SAGE will help make it easier to --interactively-- --experiment--
> with mathematical objects.
> ]]
>
> The goal of TeXmacs is not primarily to be a tool for
> exploring and interactively experimenting with mathematics,
> but rather to write mathematical documents and perform
> interactive calculation with professional quality.

This is also my opinion. I would actually support anoyone who
would be interested in making a really good SAGE interface.
However, the SAGE people seem rather interested in the development
of WEB interfaces. So be it.

Best wishes, Joris

  • Re: [TeXmacs] SAGE, Joris van der Hoeven, 12/03/2007