[TeXmacs] A daring feature proposal

  • From: Andrea Gamba<address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] A daring feature proposal
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 01:10:35 +0200 (CEST)

I have been thinking about the difference of working on a technical article on
the computer (where you make corrections directly) and paper (where you make
corrections with a pen and then copy on the computer).

Working with paper is still useful because it allows to zoom in and out of the
document, to pass from a bird's eye view to the finest detail.

It is frustrating however, because were it not for this reason, there are only
disadvantages in using paper (at least, you then have to accurately copy your
changes in a computer again).

I wonder if one could come out with a truly innovative texmacs interface such
that it is possible to easily zoom in and out of the document in the same way
as one does with a sheet of paper.

With compiz and cairo, the technology is probably available. It would be a way
to really make compositing useful. It would be even better than the expos�
function (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expos%C3%A9_(Mac_OS_X)): actually, it
would be expos� for documents, not just for the desktop.

To my knowledge nothing of this kind still exists, it would be a huge
innovation (strangely enough, nothing of this sort is not even on the Macs).

Yes, now you can change the shrinking factor (I often do that), but not
continuously and you have to wait till the document resizes, it is very far
from the experience of working with a sheet of paper.