Re: [TeXmacs] Bugs?

  • From: Alvaro Tejero Cantero <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Bugs?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:32:31 +0100

Thanks Joris!

>> * semantic parsing: the parenthesized expression (a+b) is
>> upward-selectable with Ctrl-Space, but it is not accesible anymore as
>> a separate entity once one adds a factor of the form: (a+b)*<mathd>x.
>> -- This happens because a space is required after an operator like
>> mathd or upright d. If this is the typographically correct thing to
>> do, then I suggest to include the space in the variants mechanism just
>> after the <mathd>.

> I prefer to be systematic: we also do not insert space after, say, 'sin'.

I think in this case practicality beats purity, because the variants
are a fast access mechanism and, in fact, they are not a possibility
for entering sin. Furthermore, one may want to type sin(a+b) but the
overwhelming majority of uses of <mathd> are with a single character
as argument.

An idea is that all operators generate (like \sum or \int) their own
scopes and variants were used to put delimiters of different types or
no delimiters at all.

Another context where a faster solution would be very welcome is the
subindexes (currently ', TAB TAB'). It might be a macro that maps * or
an accesible key to invisible , when the cursor is in a sub/super

>> * in the documentation one reads that the upright e,i,pi are entered
>> with variants, but the e,i,p that appear are in uppercase.
>
> Yes, that makes it easier to visually distinguish these special constants,
> which is also a convention used by several publishers, including Elsevier.

Maybe I missed something: if I enter (as suggested in the
documentation) 'E TAB TAB' I get the existential quantifier, not
<mathe>. Should it be different?

>> * changing end-bracket ) to ] by typing the latter didn't work for me
>> (with or without force-brackets).
>
> What did you type in order to enter, say (a,b] ?

(a,b) then positioned before ) and typed ]. In the order
(automatically close brackets): (, a, b, ]

If I type (a,b) and then delete ) I cannot enter ] as a substitute,
but neither can I enter ) ! I have to enter full parentheses and
delete the opening one.

>> Neither did Ctrl-* to toggle fixed-size vs. resizable brackets
>
> Where did you try to put the cursor?

everywhere. May it be an interaction with my kbd mapping:

("space" "*")

?

Cheers,

Á.