Re: [TeXmacs] Bugs?

  • From: Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Bugs?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 18:11:30 +0100

Dear Alvaro,

Thanks for your feedback.

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 04:00:15PM +0100, Alvaro Tejero Cantero wrote:
> svn 3522 compiled on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 64 bit with gcc 4.4.3, guile
> 1.8.7, Emacs look and feel, all experimental options active.
>
> * I cannot map Meta anymore to my windows key. What is the recommended
> way now? Also, 'Meta' does not appear in the minibuffer (entering it
> via Esc), only '+'.

I just fixed this problem.

> * The table shortcut appears in the menus as M+T,N,T
> I only manage to get 'Table command' in the minibuffer using M+t
> (lowercase). Further keypresses are just entered i.e. the table is not
> inserted.

Probably fixed as well.

> * The icons for paragraph centering, ragged right, justified, ragged
> left are not shown in the menubar (this was already present in
> 1.0.7.4).

I only observe this in the Qt version and already reported
a similar bug to Massimiliano.

> * Hovering on the font submenus of Document or Format causes a silent
> false freeze of TeXmacs. It's not evident to me if fonts are being
> compiled at that time.

The first time that you hit this submenu, TeXmacs may indeed freeze
for a few seconds. Afterwards, the locations of fonts are cached.
I will think about a more satisfactory solution when reorganizing
the TeXmacs font management.

> * References to tables and equations don't show automatically resolved
> in the docs, maybe they should suffer always an update pass before
> being shown?

That "bug" was already present before.
It depends on whether documentation should open fast or not.

> * when typing an upright operator (e.g. 'erf') in math mode without an
> argument, an extra space is present and obvious in the text (this is
> not the case if one types an argument, e.g. 'erf x').

Yes, and similarly for '+', '-', etc.
I plan to work on this issue.

> * semantic parsing: the parenthesized expression (a+b) is
> upward-selectable with Ctrl-Space, but it is not accesible anymore as
> a separate entity once one adds a factor of the form: (a+b)*<mathd>x.
> -- This happens because a space is required after an operator like
> mathd or upright d. If this is the typographically correct thing to
> do, then I suggest to include the space in the variants mechanism just
> after the <mathd>.

I prefer to be systematic: we also do not insert space after, say, 'sin'.

> * in the documentation one reads that the upright e,i,pi are entered
> with variants, but the e,i,p that appear are in uppercase.

Yes, that makes it easier to visually distinguish these special constants,
which is also a convention used by several publishers, including Elsevier.

> Furthermore, in my system <mathpi> is mapped to be the first variant,
> and that is recognized by the documentation (one TAB) but not by
> TeXmacs itself (two tabs necessary). Likewise, I have mapped * to
> Spacebar and I see for both space and * 'type Space' in the
> documentation. My mapping for space is Shift-Spacebar, but that is not
> seen by the documentation.

Most of the documentation is contextual, but there are a few exceptions.

> * changing end-bracket ) to ] by typing the latter didn't work for me
> (with or without force-brackets).

What did you type in order to enter, say (a,b] ?

> Neither did Ctrl-* to toggle fixed-size vs. resizable brackets

Where did you try to put the cursor?

Best, --Joris