Re: [TeXmacs] Problem with polish language

  • From: Jakub Kuźniar <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] Problem with polish language
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 09:54:02 +0100

2011/3/11 Sam Liddicott <address@hidden>

On 10/03/11 22:42, Jakub Kuźniar wrote:
Hello,

I have a problem using TeXmacs with polish language.
The problem concerns doing copy/paste text from other programs,
into TeXmacs.  After pasting, the polish diactric letters are shown as
question marks.

sample of pasted text:

"Indywidualne ?rodki ostro?no?ci"

When using Paste from ->Verbatim
text is also displayed not correctly but there are used
some other unreadable letters.

Everything is fine when I write polish letters in TeXmacs. It displays
correctly polish letters.  What is interesting that when I save such file, and
open it with e.g kwrite, I cannot match encoding. This is neither UTF-8 nor
iso8859-2.

TeXmacs version: 1.0.7.9, qt

I think TeXmacs uses Cork encoding which has some symbols that UTF-8 doesn't even have.

I think if you cut-n-paste UTF-8 it will work - do you know that your source is UTF-8? What OS are you using?

And also if you save as tml format (TeXmacs-xml) the text will be UTF-8 but of course the full format will be XML.

Sam

Hello ,

thank you for resposne.

I am using opensuse 11.3, utf-8 here is a default enconding. I am doing copy paste from different  sources,
text editor like KDE kwrite where I explicitly set UTF-8 enconfig, or from the web browser or libreoffice writer.

The TeXmacs exhibit the same behaviour in native windows port. The polish diactric letters are displayed as question marks
after pasting. TeXmacs on Linux behaves in that way since many years  as I remember. I always try to rewrite some part of the polish text wchich I need to paste into TeXmacs document.

I will test saving as tml this evening.

Thank you one more time for help

Kuba