[TeXmacs] Bug: Can't type the lowercase dotless i character

  • From: Kemal Ilgar Eroglu <address@hidden>
  • To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
  • Subject: [TeXmacs] Bug: Can't type the lowercase dotless i character
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 06:15:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

I have already filed this as a bug report (#34257) a while ago, but no one seems to notice, so I will try my luck here.

I am using TeXmacs 1.0.7.14 on Slackware Linux 13.37 32-bit but this bug was there in all the versions I have used till now, and showed itself under both the Qt and old interfaces (I tested it on a couple of other distributions, too, with the same result).

The problem is that I can't type the "lowercase dotless i" in the editor. This is a character that exists in the Turkish alphabet. It is the unicode character 131 and has LaTeX code '\i'. As you will appreciate, being unable to type this in makes TeXmacs unusable for Turkish texts, which is a great frustration for me.

As far as I can observe, all other keyboard characters work without any problem. Those who wish to try this out themselves can switch to the standard variant of the Turkish layout with

setxkbmap -layout tr

and then the English 'lowercase i' key should produce a lowercase dotless i.

This character can be loaded into TeXmacs from LaTeX documents containing \i. In the LaTeX code you have to leave a space after '\i' (to terminate the command, obviously). For example the text-mode LaTeX code

k\i sa

should display "kısa", but TeXmacs displays it as "kı sa", not deleting the obligatory space and this is another bug.

But my first priority is of course to get the keyboard input working. I would *really* appreciate it very much if someone helped me with this.

Best,
Ilgar