Re: [TeXmacs] R plugin on Mac OS X

  • From: Michael Lachmann <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] R plugin on Mac OS X
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 12:27:03 +0200

Hi,

I originally wrote the R plugin, so I'm responsible for its awful
state. I had little free time in the last years...
The problem is this:
The R plugin should run when TeXmacs finds R, but should install
correctly when TeXmacs is installed whether or not R is installed at
that time. On the other hand, R really doesn't like to run a package
prepared for a different version of R....
One possibility is that the package is compiled in the user's TeXmacs
directory when R is first found. Kida ugly. Or, R could install the
package into the user's R library, a bit nicer, but I'm not sure all
uses will have a writable user specific library directory ready.

Another option would be that the user runs something like
install.packages("TeXmacs") which will grab the latest TeXmacs library
from CRAN, or
install.packages("path/to/TeXmacs.tar.gz", repos=NULL)

I wanted to create a little web page that explains how to use the
plugin. Maybe in a week or two.

The latest, still unsubmitted, version of the TeXmacs script can be used with
source("http://www.eva.mpg.de/~lachmann/TeXmacs.R";)

tab-completion should work with the R plugin.
After establishing password-less log in to a remote machine,
you can do the following to run R on it, inside TeXmacs. (I use this
ALL THE TIME!)

system("ssh -t remote.machine /path/to/R")

After logging in, do
source("http://www.eva.mpg.de/~lachmann/TeXmacs.R";)

and if you want to use graphics,
start.view()

To edit a function/object inside TeXmacs with syntax highlighting, use t.edit:
t.edit( myfunction )

There are two modes of viewing R help files in TeXmacs. The first, the
default, just displays them in-buffer (this is what I use usually).
The second opens a new buffer for each help page, from the html. To
get the second behavior, do
t.start.help()

Michael