Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs databases ?

  • From: "El.Douwen" <address@hidden>
  • To: address@hidden
  • Subject: Re: [TeXmacs] texmacs databases ?
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 21:24:09 +0200

i like this kind of problematic

i think the question is : is there a non empty intersection between :
* the set J = what Julien needs to do his own database
and
* the set D = the great purpose of the whole texmacs team to realize the best database of maths exercises in the world, after having contibuted to the best maths text editor in the world..

i do believe that the possibility to integrate some tm exercise files in some great tm templates files is good for J, because that's what Julien asks for.
on the other side, a collaborative work to realize a database of exercises is for D, the questions of integrations, templates etc being relevant only when people have given some material for the database.
finally i start thinking the intersection is empty for the moment. In a certain future there can be connexions between our gobal database and individual databases. But not now.
I have no idea for J, but a lot for D...

ideas for D :

- we should constitute a database of exercises
i suggest to make a non international database (just a french one for this example) and more precisely : one database for high school (lycées) one other for sup (L1 L2).
my reflexion deals mostly with highschool because i have no experience of teaching sups.
the characteristics of one exercise are :
° lenght (we must estimate a time in minutes... for example a french baccalauréat subjet is estimated as 4 hours... deciding stadards is possible)
° level (must be large and approximative : some exercices can be both for terminales and premières (bac and bac-1), some othe exercises can be one level today, and one lower or higher tomorrow if the programs change...)
° thematic (complex numbers, statistics, analysis... we can classify in high school in something like 15 thematics). Some exercises may have several thematics
° type (exercise for discovering a notion, official exam subject, exercise of direct application, exercise for reflexion, exercise with concrete approach,...)
° finition (draft, ready to print, with/without correction...) it is important to let the possibility to some users to enter some drafts because it gives more flexibility to the database.

this is really theoritical : a lot of these variables has to be simplifyed if we dont want to drown before having started.

- there are two possibilities :
one texmacs file = one type of exercises (a "type" is a panel of exercises that have approximatively the same length, finition, type, level and thematic).
one texmacs file = one exercise
the first possibility makes really easier to look for an exercise. It makes thought hardier the possiblity of direct integration of exercises in a texmacs document using "insert a document"

- i think every new exercise has to get a number that will never change and just depend of the date when it was entered. After, each exercise may has some characteristics (that may change with future eventual modifications). The exercises must be classified into a database (something like sql ?) or it will be hard and not simple to classify them.

- each exercise should be proposed both in tm and in pdf so that people not knowing about texmacs could see the work and other people could have a quicklook without having to download first.

- the question of the possibility to edit tm files from a servor is not a relevant question for the moment i think; it is related with an other idea (wordpress texmacs, http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/documents/vinzdrafts/enligne.fr.html)

- we just have to be 10 french teachers with the motivation for that. If we do it, then we have a very great argument to invite people to use texmacs at autumn 2012. Personaly i can not do it alone but if maybe not 10 but 5 or let say 4 people would like to...

Vincent

ps i had also written this (http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/documents/vinzdrafts/elo_exos.fr.html) but that's longer and that says the same.